Happy New Year! I trust that you all had a restful holiday and are ready to share your students second semester with me and CRMS.
REMINDER: many students are staying after class on Tuesday for a Homework/Study Hall hour. I am giving 1-1 time and some assignments on writing during this time, if anyone else would like to participate in this.
· Writers Workshop: I will be starting back up with another round of writing, edits and revisions relating to the study of the 6 Trait, this time based on Informative and Opinion writing. I have found that the primary focus t he kids need is based around narrowing their Idea, Organization and Sentence Fluency, so these traits will be my focus. I will be tying some of the work around information for World History.
· World History: I will once again just touch on a few time periods and themes, this semester based around time periods chosen for their Art History focus (Taught on Thursdays)
· Science: Here is the outline for Wade’s current science unit:
Biology - Cells, Photosynthesis, Cellular Respiration, Genetics
- Characteristics of Life
- Cells (Feb. 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar. 5, 12)
o Possible computer lab – program pending
o Cell City project
o Microscope Labs – skin cell, onion cell, pond water, Elodea
- Genetics (Mar. 19, 26)
o Inherited trait activity
o Mendelian genetics
o Making a Baby activity
o Protein synthesis activity?
· Parent led classes: Art History: Mary will begin an 8 week course the fist of February with 4 projects focusing around 4 time periods. First Aid/CPR: After Mary’s classes, Esther will present a 5-6 week course in first aid and CPR, culminating with a CPR certification card.
· CORE: Our focus will be on Photography and the Yearbook, Socratic-type discussions, and P.E.
CHINATOWN WALKING TOUR: NEXT THURSDAY, Jan 31. PLEASE BRING $ FOR LUNCH.
PLEASE MEET AT THE SCHOOL PARKING LOT @7:50 SHARP! MY CAR WILL BE LEAVING FOR SAN FRANCISCO BY 8:05!
Our tour begins @ 10 am, ends at 12:00 pm at the lunch location. We will meet our two tour guides at 10 am. Our tour is from 10-12. We will be separated into two groups. Students will stay with the parents they drive with. ALL DRIVERS MUST HAVE GIVEN ME PROOF OF INSURANCE.
They will be bringing cameras that they will share with other students from their cars. DRIVERS WILL HELP TO WATCH THE CAMERAS. THEY ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN OFF OF THE STUDENTS NECKS UNLESS THE ARE TRANSFERRING FROM ONE STUDENT TO ANOTHER. I WILL TAKE THEM AT THE END OF THE DAY.
We will all meet again at the Utopia Café for lunch @ approximately @ 12. Utopia Café: Address: 139 Waverly Pl, San Francisco, CA 94108 Phone:(415) 956-2902
WILL BE AT THE PORTMOUTH PARKING GARAGE.
Estimated cost will be $15.00 or less, depending on the length of
stay. Our parent fund can pay for the parking
MEETING PLACE: Portsmouth Square at Clay and Kearney, upper level, near the elevators on the Washington St. side.
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DRIVERS DIRECTLY IF YOU ARE NOT GOING!!!
CAMPING: Right now the first choice is Pinnacles, however I want to suggest another idea for us to vote on. WE NEED TO VOTE!
AFTER OUR DISCUSSION, THE VOTE IS LEANING A BIT MORE TOWARD Mt. SHASTA. I DO REALLY WANT TO GO THIS YEAR, WITH THIS 8TH GRADE CLASS, BUT RESPECT IF EVERONE CHOSES PINNACLES INSTEAD (IT IS A GREAT COICE AS WELL).
REMEMBER! FOR EITHER TRIP, WE DO HAVE SPONSORSHIP $ AVAILABLE.
I WILL CALL FOR A VOTE NEXT WEEK, TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY, hopefully.
IF YOU HAVESPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT EITHER TRIP, PLEASE CONNECT WITH ME.
MARY ZEHR IS A GOOD PERSON TO LEARN MORE ABOUT Mt. SHASTA & TIM CORCORAN, AS HER SON AND HUSBAND HAVE GONE ON TRIPS WITH HIM IN THE PAST.
HEADWATERS, in Mt SHASTA http://www.hwos.com/
HEADWATERS: This is a school developed and run by Tim Corcoran. Mr. Kiersted’s 6th grade NA class has gone there every year for the past 6 years. I have know families who have had their students take classes and trips with Tim for 15 + years and have heard nothing but good things about their experience.
I did a quick poll with the students and they are split on going here; primarily due to the drive and the possible cold sleeping conditions. Personally, I think this would be a great experience for this class…and possibly out of some of their comfort zones.
· Focus: Personal Relationship to Nature, Wilderness Survival Skills, Earth Philosphy: hikes, climbing, swimming, local Native American lore, plants identification, tracking skills, (possible sweat lodge).
· Cost: $225 per student, parents half price / Gas
· Dates: Friday, May 17 – Monday, May 20
· Parent piece: Driving; once there, it is their vacation as well.
· Food: Included in cost
· Accommodations: Everyone sleeps in wooden teepees; sizes range from sleeping 2-8
· Drive time one way: Approximately 7 hours
PINNACLES: We went their last year, and our current first vote for this year. Last year we rented 2 group sites. This year, I would like to have us purchase individual campsites in loop B. I have looked at the reservations website, and currently Loop B appears to be wide open. IF WE CHOOSE PINNACLES, I WOULD WANT PARENTS TO PURCHASE SITES ASAP. (Sites Can Be Shared Between Two Families If Desired)
· Focus: hikes, Family time, group designed activities, swimming, hopefully climbing with Joseph for those with belay cards.
· Cost: $35 per night per site. = $70 per family (PARKING; vouchers possibly available)
§ Group sites is about $150. Per night and we would need two sites = $600.00 divided by everyone, plus food costs.
· Dates: TBD: End of May for two nights, ideally Tuesday-Thursday.
· Parent piece: Driving; facilitating play and students activities, cooking
· Food: Parent bought and cooked, with student help
· Accommodations: Family Tents
· Drive time one way: Approximately 2 hours
· DISCUSSION ITEMS / Field trips for the year?
o Mary: Marine Foraging /Cooking
o Exploratorium: CLOSED DUE TO MOVE in APRIL
o Driscolls tour: any Friday morning in March except for the 8th mid morning